Monday 16 April 2012

"You can't have biscuits with your tea! Have fruit!"

At approximately 8:13am, my mother just used the above sentence to have a go at me. So, in my defence I reminded her that she told me not to eat fruit right after carbohydrates, and I had just eaten two waffles. So she told me to eat toast with peanut butter. YOU CAN'T DUNK PEANUT BUTTER TOAST IN TEA!
Besides, I'm living life as recent events taught me to, including Suffolk. I had biscuits with my morning tea at Kat's, so I shall have biscuits with my morning tea here.


However, this episode did leave me to wonder where the convention of dunking biscuits in tea comes from.


Unfortunately, I am too lazy to find out.


^ This is the kind of level my mind works at this early in the morning. Be warned.


Update:
So I lifted my sorry finger and tapped on the mouse to produce a new tab in Chrome, which I then used to research the dunking of biscuits.
Have some useful websites:
wikipedia
Answers.com (scroll down for the interesting bit).


After approximately 10 minutes of research, I can conclude nothing more about the entire tea dunking affair, than the fact that we do it.
My favourite tea-dunking quote is by far the following, which is from 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel'.
"Evelyn: we dunk biscuits into it. 
Sunaina's Brother: Dunk?
Evelyn: Means lowering the biscuit into the tea and letting it soak in there and trying to calculate the exact moment before the biscuit dissolves, when you whip it up into your mouth and enjoy the blissful union of biscuits and tea combined. It's more relaxing than it sounds."

No comments:

Post a Comment