Wednesday 1 February 2012

Step outside

How often do you step outside your comfort zone?
And when you do, why?


Now, I'm not talking about being forced to give a presentation in front of your class or something, I'm talking about making a conscious decision to walk away from what is easy, and try something new or unknown.


The first post I ever wrote here was me stepping out of my Comfort Zone. I was the shy, keep all to myself type, but now I talk to a small handful of the world about whatever comes to mind. I have created a new C.Z. for myself. I have stretched it.
Have you ever tried that? Stretching your C.Z?


I suppose I should define 'comfort zone' before I discuss it with you:


(According to wiki)
The comfort zone is a behavioural state within which a person operates in an anxiety-neutral condition, using a limited set of behaviours to deliver a steady level of performance, usually without a sense of risk (White 2009). A person's personality can be described by his or her comfort zones. Highly successful persons may routinely step outside their comfort zones, to accomplish what they wish. A comfort zone is a type of mental conditioning that causes a person to create and operate mental boundaries. Such boundaries create an unfounded sense of security. Like inertia, a person who has established a comfort zone in a particular axis of his or her life, will tend to stay within that zone without stepping outside of it. To step outside a person's comfort zone, they must experiment with new and different behaviours, and then experience the new and different responses that then occur within their environment.


So. Discuss.


I'm sure that for many people, everything they want and need is within their comfort zone; But I personally believe that it is important to step outside your comfort zone once in a while. Whether that step is something minor like a blog, or something major and life changing. Soul Survivour was something way out of my comfort zone, and for that reason I almost didn't go. But looking back, I now I have to wonder if I would even be here typing this if I hadn't taken that step.
So, from my experience, although it can be mind-numbingly terrifying, stepping out of your comfort zone can be a very good thing which leads to a whole host of new opportunities. 


Having considered when I stepped out of my c.z. I then wondered why I had done it?
If I felt perfectly safe in my bubble, why did I leave it or stretch it?
Perhaps because as humans, we always tend to strive for something better than what we have. We are never fully satisfied. It was partly due to pressure from my peers that I went to SS. Mostly, I find that I now step outside my comfort zone when I want to better myself by trying something new, and doing something good for the world.


My most recent step outside my comfort zone has probably been to participate in peer learning. One Wednesday a fortnight I help out in a year 10 RE lesson, and the other Wednesday I help out in a year 10 English lesson. Now, this was massively outside my comfort zone. I'm supposed to help the students as a learning support would. It's... terrifying. Or it was. Now, it is exhilarating. I come out of each lesson with a buzz, because I know I have helped someone in some way. I know I have achieved something, and helped someone else achieve something too. I can now simultaneously participate in some quality banter and make sure they are getting their work done. I just have so much fun. Even when there isn't much to do. I can officially understand why people would want to be teachers. Whereas before I started I was dreading it, I now spend all my time thinking about the next time I can help, and what we will be doing. The very thought of it brings a smile to my face. And this is all because I took one tiny step outside my comfort zone.


It doesn't matter what you do, or how big a thing it is, stepping outside your little bubble can introduce you to something brilliant, inspiring, and joyous.


So, my challenge for you: At some point this week, make a conscious decision to step outside of your comfort zone. It doesn't have to be a big thing, it could just be a tiny step outside. When you do, (if you can be bothered) comment on this post (or write a blog post on it) and let us know what you did :) Give it a go. Try something new.




I leave you with a quote, which shall serve as the quote of the day.


“Everything you want in life is right outside your comfort zone”
~ Robert Allen

2 comments:

  1. I step out of my comfort zone by merely talking to people. I'm actually perfectly terrified of communicating with people all the time! I'm paranoid I'm the sense that I feel like people are always judging my actions and my speech, but especially the quality of my speech. Hence why I swear so much!

    (P.S; a most awesome blog! Gets one thinking!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing that :) Just so you know, you don't need to worry - you're awesome xx

    (Aww thank you!)

    ReplyDelete