Wednesday 16 February 2011

Plague dogs

I've started watching the uncut version of plague dogs, and am finding it quite inspiring... and heart-wrenching actually. Just thinking about the kinds of things the 'white coats' do to animals just for our benefit disgusts me. I know this is a controversial topic, but just imagine living your life as a plague dog, every day for the rest of your life, until you die or are killed. Imagine them injecting you with/feeding you drugs of all kinds, just for the sake of a beauty-obsessed race. Its harder to think about my views about the medical side, not the cosmetic. The cosmetic stuff is obviously ridiculously unnecessary, but I'm not sure what I think about them testing medical treatments on animals. I know it can be necessary, but its hard... Its not like the animals get a choice. They can't volunteer to help us out. They're either strays or 'bad' animals, or just simply bred to die. I don't know. I can't stand the thought of the animals suffering for our sakes. We can't truly know what they feel, and it makes me sick to think of the suffering we could be causing them.
My cat is asleep beside me right now, and my dog is snoring away on the sofa. I can't even think of them being used for animal testing without wanting to cry or fight or scream.... I actually feel physically sick now from thinking about that.




I suppose a good thing about it all stirring up my emotions is it means I've actually written a poem about it, from the point of view of the 'plague dog'. I hope my poems will be published one day, even though they'll be incredibly controversial. Maybe then somebody will listen.


Hatter xxx

2 comments: